Company Name: Verdant Specialty Solutions
Location: University Park, IL
Responsible for managing, leading and supporting the Quality Control department. Ensures that appropriate specifications and test methods are maintained for all raw materials, intermediates and finished products. Manages the operation of the plant laboratory in testing materials as required by specifications. Ensures that laboratory equipment and methods are adequate for the required tests. Supervises employees in the Quality Control department and apply company policy as appropriate. Maintains job performance standards and provides training and performance feedback for employees to achieve and maintain the required level of proficiency. Manages department safety performance by conducting regular safety meetings/tours, participating in site safety activities and one – on – one contacts, ensuring all HSE policies and procedures are followed to eliminate accidents and unsafe work conditions. Supports all quality systems, including ISO 9001, EFfCI Good Manufacturing Practices, RSPO, Halal, and Kosher certifications.
- Perform job activities in compliance with site HSE policies and procedures
- Manage day to day activities of QC lab, including supervision of lab technicians, scheduling vacations, approving timesheets, managing the laboratory chemical inventory, and ensuring lab supplies are available
- Manage the maintenance of laboratory equipment and coordinate calibration/standardization programs
- Provide “day to day” troubleshooting of analytical and production issues
- Track off-grade production, identify rework options, and provide regular communication to plant employees to discuss off-grade production and the root cause analysis and corrective actions
- Participate in qualification process for new raw materials and new suppliers
- Train quality control technicians on new methods/procedures
- Investigate and identify new methods for improved QC testing and coordinate validation of new and existing methods
- Write, review, and approve QC procedures
- Maintain and ensure compliance to site Quality Management System, including certifications for ISO 9001, European Federation for Cosmetic Ingredients (EFfCI) Good Manufacturing Practices, Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), Halal, and Kosher
- Serve as lead for both registrar and customer audits
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement
- Coordinate customer complaint investigations, actions, resolutions and communication
- Serve as contact for LIMS including, including entry and maintenance of products and specifications
- Coordinate sample requests to customers and internal technical groups
- Responsible for ensuring proper management of lab hazardous waste
- Participate in site sustainability initiatives
- Responsible for personal safety and contribution to overall plant achievement of safety performance goals
- Set standards for safety and housekeeping for QC Department
- Fully participate in plant HSE initiatives including performing periodic audits, housekeeping inspections, and incident investigations
- Ensure that QC employees participate in regular safety meetings.
- Initiate and lead QC HSE improvements
- Enforce all safety rules and procedures within the QC Department, and lead by example
- Ensure appropriate HSE training is provided to all direct reports
- Complete actions items assigned as part of incident investigations, MOC’s, audits, and investigations.
- Participate in regulatory and internal audits as needed
- Represent site through daily actions that reinforce the corporate values demonstrating personal commitment to a safe, healthy, and environmentally sound workplace for employees
- Assume other responsibilities as delegated by the Plant Manager or Technical Manager.